Re: [Harp-L] Multiple harmonicas

Hello Jonathan,
 Letâs strictly talk apples and apples. Iâm Âonly referring to the Richter ten whole diatonic harmonica, nothing else. You've made some good points though. First your point on musical style ââ Âa recognizable musical style in its own rightâ ÂThis will be considered, as you have alluded, a particular style of playing diatonic harmonicas because the Whole tone method enables such. I convert ordinary diatonic harmonicas into exceptional instruments. When employing this âstyleâ as you call it, they are no longer individual instruments. You play them as ONE because they become one. Was I the first to experiment with this? Donât know but, Iâm definitely the first to bring it to this level and until it was a more refined product it was unlikely to be widely utilized or even patented. Most ideas in the beginning are sketchy and used in random ways. So, officially Iâm the inventor of this particular refined style of playing the Richter diatonic harmonica and I call it the Coupling method. The advantage of staying with individual component/harmonicas is a vast versatility that results through interchanging components. Is playing like this unique? At this level, absolutely, otherwise we would have heard or seen musical pieces featuring this superior diatonic style which enables so much more than the ordinary truncated scales of the original. I believe once a person becomes efficient in this style of playing most will not want to return. Iâm not interested in going back...
Jonathan, thanks for your thoughtful and polite letter. Itâs a refreshing post on this rather hot topic.
Bill Price