[Harp-L] More Ode To Billy Joe

In 1972 I was present for the appearance of Howling Wolf (Chester Burnett) at one of his last road gigs, at the State Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA. His band included Hubert Sumlin (of course) on guitar, Detroit Junior on keyboards, and Eddie Shaw on sax. Before Wolf came out the band played a couple of warm-up instrumentals, the highlight of which was their great version of Ode To Billy Joe. When Wolf did appear he brought the house down, even though he remained sitting for most of the gig while blowing great harp. The "opening act" was Willie Dixon and his All Stars, which included Carey Bell on harp, Willie's son Butch on keyboards, and his son Fred on electric bass (a Rickenbacker!) and Willie also played his doghouse bass. It was a full house and one of the few times that any real Chicago blues band played Pittsburgh. We were lucky because we got to experience two of the best. In those days nobody jumped on you if you brought a recorder to a gig, as I and several others did. I just hung a mic over the balcony and got the whole show on tape. Years later Fred and I met up at a gig in State College, PA where we were both playing on the same bill, and he remembered the event with genuine affection. Pete Sheridan Jukester's Harmonica Supplies Vintage Harp Mics, plus... www.petesheridan.net
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar (Don't Eat This!)
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5483148c30371148c49d8st04vuc