[Harp-L] Re: RP 355 patches from Richard Hunter

Robert Hale wrote:
<I like my patches for performing, but I really heard the power of them while recording for a friend's CD!
<It's Richard's DSDSLP patch that packs that huge sound I call the "broken Bassman." (Listen to Mitch Kashmar) It's as if the speakers are already <shredding, in a good way.
<We recorded line-out from the RP, no amp, no mic. Don't need them. It's perfectly controlled for success in the studio. I temporarily shut off the <REVERB and DELAY I use live, so I could provide just the amp-modeled TUBE and EQ sound. The producer/mixer will craft the acoustic space needed.

Thanks Robert.  Yeah, the RP is just a monster in the studio--it records like a dream, no fuss, practically zero setup time.  I use it for almost every recording now, the notable exception being purely acoustic harp when the studio has a good-sounding space and a good mic/preamp chain to work with.  The space is really the most important thing; there's not much you can do about the sound of a bad room when you're playing into a mic from 9 inches away.  (And most rooms that haven't been treated for acoustics sound pretty bad.)  But a Fireball mic sounds great hand-held with an RP for acoustic stuff, so when the room sucks, I go to that.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick