Re: [Harp-L] Roadhouse blues

harp wrote:
<I am going to be woodsheding Roadhouse Blues. I have played it before and have some of Morrisons licks down. Seems pretty straight forward, but I <wondered if anyone had any words of advice.

The harp on this piece is not heavily distorted.  It sounds to me like it was recorded straight through the board, as opposed to using an amped-up setup.  In any case, I would play it with a relatively clean amped setup, loud enough to cut through but not lots of gain or distortion.

A big tone is essential to the harp part.  It feels like a Howlin' Wolf kind of part to me: big sound, not a lot of notes.  See Steve baker's video on getting a big tone:
http://www.hunterharp.com/video-of-the-day-12-march-2013-steve-baker-talks-tone/

I always enjoy playing this piece.  Love them Doors, and John Sebastian's harp part is exactly right.

Regards, Richard Hunter