Re: [Harp-L] in memory of Chris M

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM, The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris was quite a character.
>

> Seems he built a rickety bridge over a moat full of man eating crocodiles
> as the path to get to know him.
> A few ventured over this scary obstacle to find he had a gentle soul.

I was introduced to Chris over lunch with several musicians. He had
recently come to Phoenix, and spent the time ragging the provincial nature
of the city, bitterly, sarcastically. This is how to make new friends?

I need a reason to cross someone's bridge over crocodiles. Family, spouse,
children, usually. But each crusty character owns the obligation to make
themselves discoverable, too.

He also was of the camp to brag about playing the whole night with one
harp. OK. Significant accomplishment. But when I played back recordings of
the night he and I jammed, I found little difference in musical value. He
just worked harder to get it done. That grief doesn't earn you a badge.

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate (Fanatic!)
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL