[Harp-L] Interesting Guitar Center policies

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Harp Explorer <harpexplorer1@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

use the tester I can see there behind the counter.

Tester is leftover from the days when the store WOULD exchange a troubled harp. Symbol of times past. My experience is that harps are very consistent in performance and quality, across the brands I play. The hand-pump tester was never more than proof that SOMETHING happens when air moves in the harp.

Robert Hale

Robert, I have to respectfully differ on that last sentence.
For years I used a tester to check for notes not in tune, octaves not in tune, and how well it was gapped/adjusted. I could hear/feel all these things, specially when I had more than one harp in the same key to compare with. I found harps that were not good from the get go.
Thanks to my local music store and their tester ( they even got a new one when I mentioned the other one was torn and leaky ), I was able to pick the best ones out of the box. I even went so far as to show my beginning students how to use it, and what to listen for.
That being said, I agree when you say that harps are very ( I would say more ) consistent. And testers are becoming a thing of the past.

Brian

--- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com