[Harp-L] (OT) Facebook and harp-l

<prepended (OT) to the subject since this is not really a harp-related
thread.  Also changed from 'Facebook vs. harp-l' to 'Facebook and harp-l'
since the two are not mutually exclusiveŠ>

HummŠ I think I do not understand your question.  I would need to think it
through a bit, but I am pretty sure that for every Facebook account there
is an email address you can send mail to.  Whatever you send there gets
posted as if you entered the post from your own Facebook account.  So if
for some reason we wanted a low maintenance way to put the contents of
this list on Facebook, one would simply add that special email address to
this list as a subscriber.

The problem with doing this is that it creates a harp-l presence on
Facebook (I duno - is this a problem? Not my call.).  However, once you
have a presence on Facebook, one of the issues (designed in on purpose) is
that you have to keep up with what is going on on your ³page² because any
person (bozo?) can post something on your Œwall¹ - basically the place
where people land if they were to search for ³harp-l² on Facebook.  So you
have ongoing maintenance to contend with.

The nice thing for administrators about a mailing list is that it is
(relatively) low maintenance.  It does what it says on the tin - send an
email here, and I will blow it out to the email addresses on the list.
Facebook is a whole other world where they never actually say what it does
on the tin, and where they are constantly changing/tuning the site to get
the most product (information about people¹s usage patterns, likes,
whatever they can come up with) they can.

As for echoing email addresses out to Facebook (yuck), that is something
that someone would need to think about - personally, I would not like my
email address spread all over the place by Facebook when I thought the
only thing I was doing was making a fairly innocuous comment to a limited
interest mailing list.

Hopefully I have addressed your question.

Brad