[Harp-L] Tongue Shapes

I sincerely doubt whether everyone's tongue is shaped exactly the same. I've seen tongues that have the identifiable groove, and others that just seem more "stubby" and round. Tongues come in many shapes and sizes, just like people.

I know that my tongue in particular, for instance, simply cannot work out a way to trill an "R", the way Spanish speaking people can. I can do a French, guttural "R", almost a "gargle", but the tip of my tongue, no matter how hard or how many times I've tried, cannot vibrate at the tip, as in "trilling an 'R'".

I've also read that the ability to work the tongue into a "U" shape is genetic. Some can, while others simply cannot. I'm one of the ones who can, along with being able to wiggle my nose in a variety of unusual ways, wiggle my ears, and spread my toes.

I can also quickly articulate the "Spock salute" as in "Live long and prosper" (a Star Trek reference most of you are probably familiar with). That's the one with your hand held up as if to say "Hi", open palmed, but holding the index and middle fingers together, and the ring and pinky fingers together, forming a "V".

I can also alternate between that hand-shape and one where the middle and ring fingers are together and there's a separation between ring and pinky, and between index and middle. This forms a "W", by the way.

But I just can't trill the tip of my tongue, as in a Spanish "R". Maybe if I tried a lower case "r" it might work. I don't know. : )

I've settled into the fact that I'll never be able to play harp exactly like ______ ____ or _____ _____, or ______ ___ ________ 2 or 1, but I'll be happy if I just learn to play like me, at my best or better, using the gifts and the anatomy I've been given.

RL

---