Re: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball Mic

An XLR to jack cable is wired in “unbalanced mode” while a low impedance mic like the Fireball is wired for “balanced mode” operation. Your XLR to jack cable is only delivering half of the mic’s signal to the amp, AND creating an impedance mismatch which will alter its frequency response. If you Blues Jr is in stock trim then it is a feedback monster and using the XLR to jack cable may well provide an advantage in making the amp more controllable. However it is technically incorrect. Using the impedance matching transformer and low-Z cable is the right way to go. The IMT shouldn’t be creating any noise - in fact balanced mode systems are much more noise immune than unbalanced ones. If yours does it may be faulty.

/Greg

http://blowsmeaway.com
http://facebook.com/blowsmeawayproductions

When responding to this email, please include the copy of our previous conversations.