Re: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball Mic

Cljdm@xxxxxxx wrote:
<Was wondering why this mic, the Audix Fireball has a low impedance
<connection? Should a transformer adapter to high impedance  be added? Also any
<experience with this mic would be welcomed. Heard  good things about it and may
<buy one.

This is my go-to mic for most purposes.  This mic is relatively inexpensive, very flexible and durable, and well suited to both stage and studio.     It has a clear, powerful tone.  It doesn't have as much grit as a typical bullet, but it takes nicely to amped-up tones, and its clarity makes it a much better choice than most for anything that requires chording on the harp, or for that matter anything besides straight-up Chicago blues.  I keep a Shure 545SD and a Bottle o' Blues in my kit for straight-up blues gigs, but I rarely use them now. I recommend the Fireball V version, which has better response to bass and a volume control.

You can hear side by side comparisons of the three mics named above at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/what-a-difference-a-mic-makes-part-1/
and
http://www.hunterharp.com/what-a-difference-a-mic-makes-part-ii/
The first of these compares the three mics on an amped-up blues; the second looks at some other applications.  Hear for yourself and see what you think.

As to the lo-z connection: yes, it has one.  You need a transformer adapter to use it with an amp.  The same goes for most vocal mics, e.g. Shure SM57 and 58.

Almost all the recordings by me at my website (http://hunterharp.com) were made with a Fireball.  Check it out.

Regards, Richard Hunter