Re: [Harp-L] Any clear advantages between low Steve Baker Special and Powerbender tuning on a 10-hole?

From what little experience I have with double richter (aka SBS) harps it occurs to me that the double richter allows tongue slaps on what used to be holes 1, 2, 3 because the low octave acts as the chord for vamping.

Now instead of starting tongue slaps at hole No. 4, they can start with hole No. 1.

This low octave creates a whole new set of vamps -- and sounds -- not available on the standard richter harp.

I have a couple of weeks use of my 12-hole Seydel Solist Pro low octave in C and a double richter 10-hole in C.

As other people have mentioned in the past, bending that low octave is a bear but it is worth the effort.

As I mentioned a few months back, the wide availability of low tuned harps means that Sonny Boy II stuff can be played in keys other than what Rice Miller used. People pick different keys for the sound and to match their own voice pitch.

The other difference the double richter tuning/layout offers is the ability to bend notes in what used to be the middle octave on the harp.

And as much as I appreciate the original SBS harps -- I have all 5 somewhere -- the Seydel 10- and 12-hole are easier on the mouth: they have plastic (airtight and smoother) combs and are much less of a mouthful than those huge Hohners.

Hope this helps,
Phil