Re: [Harp-L] Any clear advantages between low Steve Baker Special and Powerbender tuning on a 10-hole?

I’ve been experimenting with / exploring both the Powerbender and what Seydel calls its Solist Pro low oktave: extra low octave on a regular harp.

I think they’re two different kinds of diatonic harps and don’t think of one being better than the other. They have their respective strengths.

The PowerBender exploits the draw-bending possibilities of the diatonic harmonica, giving expressive possibilities in the upper two octaves that are not achievable on the standard Richter-tuned harp. (But then the standard Richter-tuned harp has its advantages over the PB.) I find it forces a different breathing discipline on me because I tend to play more draw notes than on a standard diatonic harp.

The Seydel low oktave solist pro is trickier to play, I have found, than I would have thought, re-working my mental model of the harp, but heaps of fun. Big fat low chords. Hitting those low bends is a workout, but all the bends are possible.

I like ‘em both.

John