[Harp-L] stacked and other diatonic techniques using multiple harps

     The recent discussion on stacking diatonics prompts me to add a couple of personal comments and recollections along these lines.      In the late 1960s I built myself several stacked harp rigs for playing tunes that modulated keys. At that point in time nobody I had run into in the (then) small community of blues harp players had tried this. I attached a small hardwood square with screws into the ends of the wood combs of a pair of stacked Marine Bands. The rigs were easily disassembled so the harps could be used individually. They gave me a lot of possibilities for licks and chords in a variety of playing situations.      l also know that one of Big Walter Horton's many cool techniques was to hold a pair of Marine Bands back to back, which he could easily flip over to change keys. This move confounded a lot of unsuspecting folks present at the time. With his large hands it was relatively easy for him to accomplish this.      Previous mention has been made of Norton Buffalo's classic harp solo on Bonnie Raitt's recording of "Runaway", using four different key harps. He did this in one take, and got a standing ovation from those present in the studio. The live video version as seen on YouTube isn't as smooth as he grabbed the wrong harp at one point, but he recovered in style anyway and still got a big hand.      I also witnessed a Johnny Cash performance of "Orange Blossom Special", where he held a different key harp in each hand, and switched from one to the other as needed to get the chords and licks required as the tune progressed.       Finally, I have also heard that Little Walter sometimes stacked a diatonic on top of his chromatic in live situations. It is known that he often switched back and forth in the studio from one to the other on several tunes that he recorded. This was reportedly done to confuse his rivals (Not that he had to worry.) Pete Sheridan Jukester's Harmonica Supplies Vintage Harp Mics, plus... www.petesheridan.net