Re: [Harp-L] The Coupled Diatonic Harmonica

The first time I saw stacked diatonics was when SPAH met in Detroit. SPAH last met in Detroit in 2000. Cham Ber Huang, the noted classical chromatic virtuoso demonstrated using harmonicas in the keys of C, F and G held stacked in his hands.

He performed several songs using the tongue blocking technique. When he played a melody notes that needed an F chord backing, he played on the F harp and used the blow F chord.  He used the G harp when he needed a G chord and the C harp when he needed the C chord.

ChamBer said this style of playing using three harmonica was common in his native China. FYI: ChamBer worked by Hohner and invented the CBH 2016, a chromatic that has been out of production for many years but it still the preferred chromatic for many players. Hohner still makes the reed plates for the harmonica. ChamBer also produced chromatic and diatonic harmonicas under his own name after he left Hohner, which are may be in production/available.

Peter Madcat Ruth has also demonstrated this stacking of the diatonic harmonias at SPAH over the years.

Paul Davies taught a workshop this year -- 2014-- on the chordal possibilities of using two diatonics one step apart: C/D, G/A, Bb/C et cetera.

And I seem to recall Joe Fiisco's workshop on two harps at SPAH..

Some put two 1-inch dot stickers on their harp to indicate the Key C and draw chord G7  which makes it easy to play a blues comping with two harps in dim light and rush of performance. This assists playing the I, iV and V chords at blow chords or and draw 7th chords without thinking too much about it.

For the ambitious, the minor chords and others can be listed next to the C, G7 etc.

For those interested in more chord possibilities, spring for a few bucks for the ($5.39 plus shipping from Amazon) Mel Bay Harmonica Chord Chart by Phil Duncan. I just searched my files and can't find my copy.

The 1-inch dot stickers (all colors) are available at office supply stores.

Hope this helps
Phil Lloyd