Subject: [Harp-L] This has made my day

Way to go, Eliza! Proud of you too. :)

Elizabeth

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 19:22:27 +0100
From: Eliza  Doolittle <eliza.doolittle@xxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

I just wanted to tell you that I've felt SO proud this morning. I have not
been
able to practice much with the harp for the last weeks, and it is only  a
couple of days ago that I got back into trying to learn to play  bendings
all right. I was talking harps with a pianist friend, and he was  telling me
he wouldn't believe that notes other than those produced by  normal
blowing and drawing could be played with a diatonic harp. So I took  my
harp out of my pocket, and demonstrated by playing something  resembling
a C sharp in the first hole. My friend said 'OK, let's call that  almost a C
sharp'. I moved then on to the second hole, played a rather good F  (friend'
eyebrows raised), and then an F sharp (friend's eyes open wide  while
eyebrows still raised). Then I said I was still working on the third  hole's
bendings. Although I'm still far from being able to play all the  bendings,
and
from playing them well in a 'music' context (not only playing  them as
isolated notes), I think this has boosted my confidence. Small as  this step
forward may look, it is the kind of thing that keeps you going when  you
start to feel you're stuck. Once again, I'm SO proud!

Eliza  Doolittle