Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The Coupled Diatonic Harmonica

Richard:

Last Evening I made the point on  the site itself about players using
stacked harmonicas giving Jia-Yi He as an example...mentioning that I  really
enjoyed Mr. Price's playing and hadn't yet seen anyone bolting two  diatonics
together but disagreed with his idea of diatonics being in  dramatic decline
having just come home from SPAH where so many new  models were available
and being sold by the major manufacturers (bought two  myself, in fact).

I also brought up the 'six-sided tremolos' set long since been in  use by
people (someone I currently accompany uses one).

  Reread his claim about diatonics being in a major  decline this morning
and he asks for 'proof' to the contrary, so found a  very good Steve Baker
YouTube about 3 separate diatonic tunings to use as an  example (one of them a
country tuned harp)...clicked on the site to add it and  found my original
post 'disappeared'. ;)

Here's THAT youtube which you might wish to use as an example since I doubt
 I'd get it posted:

Steve Baker: 3 special tunings for Diatonic harmonicas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptkCrQBW7LU&list=UU0Y4nFu7QWUN4yMU4Ay6hzA&ind
ex=51

Unsure whether this gentleman (Bill Price - not the same Bill Price we know
 from working on harps at Garden State/Buckeye, etc.) accepts comments only
 from those who agree with his 'new' method or not? Here's a link to that
particular claim:

http://harmonicareinvented.com/cpt_news/harmonica-declining-public-interest/

 I'd love to read some responses from people here who do know  better--and
can cite facts and stats. He calls the diatonic redundant and 'it is  what
it is'..perhaps never having heard of alternate tunings, Brendan and those
others who think well outside the box.

While the long bolts do seem to stabilize the 'stacking' of two  harps and
he obviously makes it work for him - playing some really nice tunes;  as
you've pointed out the idea isn't at all new.

Elizabeth

"Message: 2