Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Band Reboot

George Miklas wrote:
<Basing my comment upon your  response below, I believe that you might  have
<a preconceived idea of the bass harmonica's capabilities.  Please allow  us
<to think outside the box.  The resonance of the low frequency reed on the
<modern double bass harmonica is the sum of the harmonica's construction AND
<the resonance  of the player.  Performance technique is a product of time
<and practice of the player.
<
<The sky is the limit.  Trust  me, I know.
<
<It isn't just roots and fifths anymore!

hi George,

I've heard the Stagg McMann Trio tear a Tad Dameron tune to pieces, so I know that a bass harmonica can be used for more than roots and fifths.  My own predilection for higher-pitched harps shouldn't be taken to mean that I think the bass harmonica has seen its best days.

However, its place in popular music styles at this point in time is uncertain, and I await the breakthrough artist who can establish that place.  Perhaps that artist is reading this post right now...

Regards, Richard Hunter