Re: [Harp-L] Volunteer for Winslow

I 'think' you were referring to the '6' pointed star. Actually not a star at all. Back in the early days of the industrial revolution there were expositions for manufactured goods. Usually held in Paris, but also sometimes London and Berlin. In the U.S. some were held in Chicago, and other cities.

In Europe it became a habit of using the HIGHEST point in Europe to represent the PINNACLE of achievement. This being Mont Blanc. So, a product that was considered ne plus ultra or sans pariel (in It's field) might be given a medal denoting this fact. The so called six pointed star is actually the snow capped summit of Mont Blanc. Used on French and German goods at various times to 'brag up' their products.

Medals can be seen on various European products over the years. (Example..the Marine Band harmonica). Also olive oil, watches, Kolibri cigarette lighters, fountain pens, cosmetics and their appliances, etc. ad infinitum.

If'n you can find a source that debates this, feel free to challenge it.

smo-joe  (Paul Revere never SAID: "One if by land, and two if by hot air baloon"). Yes, he is the most unforgettable character you will ever meet. lolol