Re: [Harp-L] Bandoneon Cold Rolled Stamped

You are unlikely to find a harmonica with zinc reeds.

Are you sure that the zinc parts are the reeds?  Zinc is more likely to be used for the reed plates containing the slots. Zinc is not a good spring material and is not suitable for reeds.  Brass is a zinc-copper alloy and is used for reeds.

Even if you can find zinc reeds, you will be disappointed that they do not sound like a bandoneon.   The sound of a harmonica is determined not by the material of the reeds, but by the geometry of the slot, by the variations in flow through the slot as the reed vibrates and most of all by the player’s embouchure.  The amount of sound that emanates directly from the reed as from a bell is negligible.

I have a harmonica with 47 brass reeds and one stainless steel reed.  No one has been able to find the SS reed by playing it.

Vern