Re: [Harp-L] Musician earplugs

I use the Etymotic Research musician's ear plugs which are custom ear moulds with snap in filters ranging through 9,15 and 25 dB. They also sell a snap in plug. I've had mine for decades, they work well. I really only use the 25 dB cut even though I also have a set of the 15dB filters. They are very comfortable and the sound attenuates flatly across frequencies. Here's the one problem with ear plugs and harmonica. The harmonica is in your mouth and coupled to a vibrating column of air in your vocal tract. When you wear ear plugs what you end up hearing is the sound of your harmonica which gets to your ears vua bone conduction. You lose your amp tone and I personally tend to play too quietly because from where I'm listening I'm the loudest instrument in the room. When I played in a loud band I just used the plugs and it was way better than being in the high spl of the bars I played in. Currently I play in much more moderate settings in terms of overall volume. I use a 5 watt White Higher Fidelity amplifier. I won't turn it up past 5 if that high. If people complain that they can't hear me it means the band needs to come down in volume.

ER's can be found here, http://www.etymotic.com/

Their off the shelf product is pretty darn good and a lot cheaper. Again I've had my customs for decades. They make going to other musicians shows do-able. Pretty much everyone plays too loudly these days and by too loudly I mean at a level where listening for more than half an hour is likely to cause hearing loss to people who listen with no hearing protection in. fjm