[Harp-L] small mouth for chromatic

just one question, and I've not been following closely, just noticed the thread....

at full stretch of your mouth, with no "pushing hard into the mouth", what's the largest number of holes you can comfortably cover..? How many if you stretch?

Like testing your fingers' reach on a piano, how many holes CAN you blow into at once?

the distance between the left side of the low c and the top edge of the c one octave up is about one and 3/8 inch.
So, if you don't mind my seeming overly personal, what's your actual reach, mouth-wise?

"pressing it into your mouth" might not be the best way to look at it, unless you understand that it's relaxed, not pushed hard into your mouth.....I'd think that tension in some directions would tend to limit the reach, and at some point, tension in the mouth can cause the throat to close

IF you truly have a small reach, blame your parents, for sure....and if you're recording, just overdub the other octave, and don't feel compelled to put it on your liner notes.

On Apr 27, 2014, at 2:01 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all, I am mostly a diatonic player, but also play some chromatic. I have
> a couple of chromonikas, a swan, and a chrometta 8. I have a problem
> playing them though... my mouth is too small to play octaves on a
> chromatic. I've been told before "ah, your mouth isn't too small, you just
> have to press it in your mouth more." U

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.