Re: [Harp-L] deburring slide

On Apr 20, 2014, at 11:09 PM, Music Cal <macaroni9999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Vern
>
> I have crocus cloth and have used it on my sliders in the past. Since rubbing the entire slide may harm the slide tolerance I am trying to avoid that now and instead look for a more direct path to removing burrs at the hole edges.

IF you had ever tried to remove a measurable amount of material with crocus cloth, you would not worry about that.  The protrusions get far more abrasion that do the flat surfaces.

There is a more direct way of working on slides.  You need a Shofu Brownie abrasive wheel and a Dremel tool or other spindle.

1. Using a felt-tipped pen, color the slide and the parts that it touches.
2. Assemble the slide.
3. Work the slide a few times.
4. Disassemble the slide.
5. Examine the slide and its mating parts for streaks where high points have rubbed the ink off.
6. Use the Shofu brownie wheel to relieve the high spots.  Remember that the ink-less streak locates a high place on the MATING part.
7. You are looking for narrow streaks caused by burrs of the mating part.  You can repeat this several times but not indefinitely because the slide will always touch somewhere.  When the streaks become broad, you are done.

Have you found a good way to smooth the small hole in the slide through which the spring arm passes? I am finding that it is significant source of friction in my harps?

A countersink bit spun lightly in the fingers followed by a little rubbing with the crocus cloth ought to do it.

Vern