Re: [Harp-L] Remarks and questions regarding Blues Harmonica for dummies

'Harmonica for Dummies' is the second book I bought in order to learn to play the harp (the first one was useless, since all it taught was what notes you got by blowing or drawing into each hole, a little bit about music notation -all of which I already knew- and a few melodies, which I could have picked easily by ear). I hadn't heard about this series of books before, and I didn't feel bad for buying something that labelled me as 'dummy'. I suppose the word's used in an humourous way, and even if it's not, I don't mind being called dummy by a book as long as it works. And, so far, this book is working for me. I haven't opened it for some time, because after understanding well all the ideas about bending, now I'm just practising and practising, until I manage to produce all the bent notes reasonably well. I'm in no hurry.

(By the way, I bought a Hohner Marine Band yesterday, to replace the cheapo Hohner Bluesband made in China I had. Apart from the huge difference in the sound quality -th MB sounds gorgeous!- the drawn notes in hole 2 -bent or unbent-, on which I was working right now, sound now much more definite and strong. And all at a very reasonable price).

Although I will have enough material to work on with the book I've got now, and I don't intend to buy another one at least for some time, would you recommend buying 'Blues Harp for Dummies' at some point too? I mean, does it expand the contents of 'Harmonica for Dummies'? Or do they overlap too much?

Eliza Doolittle