Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp players gear lists? blah blah longish

"And that brings us to the bigger issue: the implication in this post that pro harp players are shills for gear makers."

Actually, the implication, somewhat said in jest (I apologize if anyone was offended) was that 'some' players who accept sponsorship from a specific company, over others, 'may' have signed a deal to that effect, perhaps an exclusionary deal, that would preclude any further transparent objectivity in their promotions of this or that brand of harp, since they are, in fact, representing that company.

I mean, to be reasonable, I would assume that someone who represents company "A" fairly frequently and publicly, would not want to be quoted stating that company "B" makes a better harp. That would put his/her sponsorship at risk, would it not? Unless, of course, company "B" proffers a better offer to said artist, and a shift is made, professionally, by said artist.

I would hope, as you professed or seemed to imply, that ALL harp players were so genuine (and my suspicions are more often along this line than not) as to not allow their financial allegiances or responsibilities alter their honest opinions in terms of what they feel about this or that harp. You CAN see, if you stay long enough, that certain players represent certain companies, seemingly by contract of some sort, as every time a particular company is mentioned, they speak up as that company's rep. It's no big secret.

Then, not having personal, familiar knowledge of said representative, one may not know(public assurances of non-bias notwithstanding) whether the advices given by this or that one may be as reliable as that given by one who is not held by or affected by a contract with such-and-such company.

So, having a list of what equipment is actually owned and used is often useful, in case one wishes to get past any potential rhetoric.

There is a difference between passion and promotion. Not being entirely familiar with any of the principle subjects involved, one may, if one is new here, assume that every opinion is a passion, and not merely promotion for the sake of pecuniary gain, while the reverse may at times be the case, again, regardless of assurances otherwise.

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of man,,,,the Shadow knows.

Kidding.

But truly, my primary motivation was not to expose any such inconsistencies, but to help enlighten any future choices, mainly from a personal perspective.

Thanks, and again, my apologies, if I stepped on any toes unintended.

Robert, stickler for the truth.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Hunter" <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>