Re: [Harp-L] Harpmaster vs session

On Apr 11, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Robert Laughlin <harmonicaman1968@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, the next logical question is,,
>
> Do phosphor bronze reeds last longer than brass?

Bronze is supposed to be more resistant to fatigue than brass.  That would make it last longer. This is very difficult to demonstrate requiring many harmonicas, lots of time to play them to failure on a machine, and careful data analysis.

> Do phosphor bronze reeds have a different characteristic behavior or tonal quality than brass?

No.  The properties that affect vibration, elasticity and density, are very much alike.  The sound comes from the changes of flow area as the reed swings through the slot.  There won't be any perceptible difference audible between reeds designed to have the same stiffness and pitch.

> It's my understanding that brass is softer than phosphor bronze. Am I right?

Yes.

See:  http://www.diffen.com/difference/Brass_vs_Bronze

Vern