[Harp-L] Playing but not hearing

Hi Steve,

Your posting reminded me that it is time I dug out the two CDs you sent me a
few years ago and started listening to them again.

You are right about a cupped hand being as good as a finger in the ear.
Again I think it was Rick Epping who told us that. In fact an advantage
could be that your neighbouring player might regard it as a compliment
instead of an insult.

Sorry to hear about your loss of 'high end', but I think that 15Khz is a
vastly over rated commodity in any case. The last time I heard it, it
sounded like a leak from a steam pipe or a compressed air line - not
particularly musical.

I was slightly disturbed to find out that on occasion although I could not
hear myself others could hear me. I use the ear plug technique briefly to
establish that at least I am in the right key and then plough on regardless
hoping to cause the minimum offence.

I am not at any pains to be heard in a session. In fact I sometimes like to
fly 'under the radar' with a leaky Seydel Standard Chromatic and then like
those old Charles Atlas ads used to say "practice in the privacy of your own
home" with the Deluxe model.

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana