Re: [Harp-L] playing other instruments at gig

Do I play other instruments at gigs?

Yes, I do love to rattle dem ole rhythm bones and have a variety of hand-held percussion instruments that I use to contribute to the rhythm section (which is often absent in the acoustic settings that I prefer Harmonica is not always appropriate, plus I play a lot at open mics and jams where there may well be more than one harmonica player.

Not many people even know what rhythm bones are, let alone have seen them played. Plus, I make my own bones out of bleached-out ox ribs. They are pretty to look at (to me anyway) and make unique sounds. Great conversation pieces. People are easily fascinated when I rattle them with one hand and when I whip another pair out and play with two hands I see a lot of smiles. But bones are ~really~ inappropriate to annoying in certain tunes, so knowing when to lay off becomes a necessity. That's when the tambourine, jaw harp, eggs, etc. come in handy, again carefully choosing the appropriate time to whip them out.

But... Even when the harmonica is the wrong apparent choice, at least in a melodic setting in a solo or accompanying role, playing some tasteful rhythm harp can evoke lots of smiles both in the crowd and on the stage. Learning to percussively and rhythmically attack those beautiful chords ala one of my harp heroes, Paul Davies-style, has come in very handy for me. Even harp players are surprised when they hear that and few can keep up if they aren't afraid to try. (Thanks, Paul!)

At least that's the way I see it.

Thanks,

Michelle