[Harp-L] Equal temperament

Phil wrote:
"The concept of equal temperament has been around for centuries and has just gone in and out of popularity. Probably Bach's The Well-Tempered Clavier is what cinched the deal. "

Except probably not.  It's questionable what temperament Bach intended (hotly debated at that) and 12-tone equal temperament doesn't seem to have really taken off till the more heavily chromatic Romantic music of the 19th century (certainly not in organs, for instance).

As for harmonicas, I can't stand the sound of equal tempered chords.  Well, mostly the major thirds.  Which is why I almost never play chords on a chromatic.  Splits, but not chords.  Also, I think fjm is very much on to something; if you haven't played a harp in 7-limit just intonation, you really need to try it.

JR Ross
(Still trying to figure out a good chromatic harp layout for 19-tone equal temperament)