[Harp-L] equal temperament - golden melody

Equal temperament is the tuning used by the piano and guitar. It is considered standard tuning for most instruments in the Western world.

Nobody mentioned this yet, but Bobby Darin might have switched harps to get a equal temperament instead of just intonation -- because it sounded better with the song?

One of my former guitar teachers had a reed go out of tune on his Lee Oskar and replaced the harp with a brand new Special 20. He couldn't understand why the pitch was off -- until I told him the LO was equal temperament and the then Special 20 was closer to just. Solo tuned chromatic harmonicas are mostly equal temperament. Richter chromatics?

Equal temperament is a compromise tuning that makes it possible to play music/songs in 12 keys. Previous tunings set up tunings that provided optimum tuning in certain keys. Equal temperament makes all keys sound equally bad rather than favoring a few keys.  And one key doesn't sound any better than another, except higher or lower in pitch.

The concept of equal temperament has been around for centuries and has just gone in and out of popularity.  Probably Bach's The Well-Tempered Clavier is what cinched the deal.

The Hohner Golden Melody (the name tells the tale) and the Lee Oskar are equal temperament and therefore ought to sound  good with a piano and guitar. The Seydel harps can be special ordered in equal temperament (I just got one last week).

And if you are not thoroughly confused by this whole discussion, check out Pat Missin
<http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun6.html>

hope this helps,
Phil