Re: [Harp-L] 3rd position?

From: John Kapetan > n“Hi All; Can anyone tell me if Mr Power (I think it
is him on the clip) is playing 3rd position on this? Thanks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqJ7-OHmnvc

Impressive analysis, Winslow! Whew, that was nearly 20 years ago, let me
think… I was using half-valved Hohner 270s chroms then, with my own
home-made Lexan combs (Lexan is a polycarbonate, the stuff used as ‘bullet
proof glass’). That's why it looks clear, but not a Hering.

The tuning would be PowerChromatic, or a version of it:
http://www.brendan-power.com/harmonicas.php#harps4

It puts a C chrom into G essentially, with 3 blow as your home note. I
normally played minor keys in 5th position (Em on a G chrom, which used to
be a C chrom, if you’re still following me…).

Since this is in Gm, the chrom was likely a Bb (which used to be an Eb…)
Here is the scale:

1	2	3	4	5…..	(Repeating)
EbF	GA	BbC	CD	EbF….

It might have been this variation:

1	2	3	4	5…..	(Repeating)
EbF	GA	BbC	BbD	EbF….

All slider notes rise a semitone. The half-valving gives diatonic-type
interactive reed bending on all the draw notes, which is why it sounds
closer to a 10 hole harp.

Hope that helps,

Brendan Power
WEBSITES: www.brendan-power.com ● www.x-reed.com