 From: Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Earliest Country Harmonica - Woody Guthrie and Sonny Terry

>Wow Dennis, I think there'd be a lot of people who would disagree with you.  I'd say hundred's of great songs with politically motivated purpose.  I would say in >terms of godfathering folk music, he'd be in the top five names of importance, if not the top two.

>MIchael Rubin
>Michaelrubinharmonica.com

You beat me to it by a smidgeon, Michael.  I just think that Woody's guitar playing, singing and harp-playing were all just right for his message. And, apropos of that message, he gave us all the politics we needed by simple storytelling and by relating his experiences of ordinary struggling people, without pushing stuff down our throats at all.  Quite a few of our more modern "protest singers" have not managed to achieve that balance.