Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:32:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica firsts
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

For
 the earliest country harp recordings, you might look to either Vernon
Dalhart or Henry Whitter (Whittier in some renderings), though whether
Dalhart was country or pop-with-a-ten-gallon-hat is arguable. Plenty of
old-timey records included harp in the 1920s, including Dr. Humphrey
Bate and several others.

For rock it depends in what you're
willing to call rock. The hillbilly boogie records of the late 1940s
featuring Wayne Raney and Lonnie Glosson under both Raney's name and
that of the Delmore Brothers might qualify, or possibly some of the
early records of Onie Wheeler, even though all these artists are looked
on as more country than rock.

(For something closer to
rock&roll, maybe some of Little Walter's work or that of Billy Boy
Arnold on his own or with Bo Diddley might qualify).

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance