[Harp-L] duplicate reeds, different sizes, chromatic

I'm wondering, and not for the first time, why the reeds for the duplicated notes, for instance,  the duplicated C's, are made with different sized reeds....next to each other, providing the same pitch....

I know it works, because....it does...

anyone know of the  genesis of this setup?

I suspect that Vern will know, and that history guy, John B also.....

and perhaps Winslow....

my wife doesn't know, so please don't suggest that I ask her.

Perhaps Joe L, might have been there when the reed sizing decision was made....

thanks

and no, this, unlike most of the posts of mine, is not practice-avoidance.....

.... well , not totally..... well, ok..... it IS practice avoidance, but doctor-approved, my chiro guy said to limit my playing for a few days...I think he knows my neighbors.....

jk

jonkip.com