Re: [Harp-L] need some recommendations: diatonic

Pat Bergeson.   I picked up his album "Hippy Dance" at SPAH, and it's great!

Jackson Kincheloe
Tour Manager, Harmonicas- S.S.D.B.
(646)-596-2834
www.sistersparrow.com

Message: 8 Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 23:17:46 +1000 From: Rick Dempster <
rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] need some recommendations:
diatonic

To: Eric Miller <miller.eric.t@xxxxxxxxx>,

l@xxxxxxxxxx"

bloozeharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Message-ID:

WPtJvciue5gKEFBXQUiA4PySndMgcM rcedCAmZbA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Eric,

mostly familiar with the well known blues harp players from the Walters to
JR and all points in between" (I'm not sure about "all points in between")
you are so keen to go directly to playing "modern". But it's a trend I've
noted for a long time among blues players. If I were to advise a diatonic
Richter system player, with a background of playing blues, wanting to play
any kind of 'jazz' how to proceed, I'd say learn your scales and chord
arpeggios, learn the 'standards' - a lot of modern stuff is based on the
changes of 'standards' - and listen to all jazz, from, 20s on. I think a
lot of the attraction for harp players to the 'modern' is that it sounds
modal, and apparently open ended. I hear a lot of people trying to play
mod. jazz on the harp, and most of them clearly know nothing about the
harmonic underpinnings. All 'free'. I'd start by checking out Blues
Birdhead, Rhythm Willie, Gwen Foster and Don Les for starters. Then there's
Howard Levy, of course, to come up to date. Philip Jers, is someone who has
impressed me, both on diatonic and chromatic. There's a cat in Nashville
Tenn., whose name escapes me, but is well worth a listen ....ah..is it
Bergerson? Joe Leone's diatonic playing is worth checking out too. (His
chrom playing ain't bad either, but that's off-topic -just in case you read
this, Joe) But maybe you are ahead of me anyway? Cheers, RD