From: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Sep 12, 2013 1:46 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Swing

Thank you lizzie, I loved this demonstration and it brings to mind something I
had said eons ago. And while this video wasn't aimed at music READERS (per se)
but concentrated on real PLAYING, a lot of what can be done with the timing
really comes down to the RESTS. The rests determine the timing, and therefore
the phrasing. So, what I'm talking about is:

When looking at music, it has rests. These are (usually) 1/8, 1/4, 1/2,  3/4,
full, and then multiples of full. There is nothing in the music police force
that dictates a law: TO WIT: ALL rests must be measured as is, and to do
otherwise is a felonious attempt with intent to mope and gape. Punishment to be
38 lashes with a wet noodle.

There is NO reason not to DOT the rests. In other words change some of them to
accommodate what YOU like the music to sound like. Exmple: change a 1/4 to a
5/16ths, change a 1/2 to a 3/8ths..or even a 7/16ths. Change a 3/4 to an
11/16ths, a 13/16ths. a 7/8ths. In other words..stop being WELDED into the
timing. Lee Sankey showed this very well indeed. And this is what separates the
champs from the chumps.

smo-joe   end of rant

On Sep 12, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Tin Lizzie wrote:

> The single best explanation/demonstration of âswingâ that I have ever heard is
this video by Lee Sankey:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkn5i3D966M&list=PL05B9C6057A555E07&index=14
>
> Tin Lizzie
>

> On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Miguel Weissman wrote:
>
>> From: Miguel Weissman <harpburn2@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: September 12, 2013 9:23:05 AM GMT-04:00
>> To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: [Harp-L] Swing
>>

>> I would break it down as simply as possible; define the many different
variations of swing by choosing recordings .. then study drummers and the
interaction between the rhythm section and the soloist. Chart it out in you mind
or with tab!

>> If you use a click track, that is great for understanding the concept and
practicing learning to count, but not good for understanding interaction between
players and how swing is interpreted by each player and each band as a whole.
>> My choices is the Aces, Little Walther's band..and Count Basie's rhythm
section.. maybe Django Reinhardt.