Re: [Harp-L] RP355/amp comparrison

Boris makes a great point.  You have to amplify the pedals.  You also have
to consider the needs of the player.  I run without an amp, but I have to
use a powered speaker still...which is an amp, technically.  I also have
one 10" speaker compared to a 4x10 Bassman cab.  I also have to dial in the
effects, which is often harder than using an amp.  I run into the problem
of everything NOT be voiced at all to harmonica relative to a "harp
amp"...I mean, there are pros and cons to either.

The math in terms of savings is also iffy...

I just jumped on MusiciansFriend.com:

A brand new Behringer B210D powered 1x10" speaker runs $199.99.  A new
RP255 is $149.99.

A brand new Fender Champ X2 runs $349.99.

A brand new Pro Jr runs $419.99

A brand new Fender Princeton Reverb runs 949.99

Those are all comparable to a digital rig with PA speaker - including
overall sound quality.  I did shop new, but I also did take a very cheap
powered speaker.  My personal rig, which is all pedal based, and NOT all
digital runs at least as much as a good harp amp...and it is questionable
how much easier it is to transport.  I still have to carry a pedal board
and speaker.

The benefit to the digital stuff like the RP255 is flexibility of sounds,
but that isn't everyone's priority.  I would contend, though, that a lot of
pedal based recordings sound just as good as amps - or at least can.  The
big difference is in feeling air move on stage, IMO.