[Harp-L] Groove vs Swing

Smo-Joe wrote" I have never known a metronome to have a groove."

Well I have and the story remains one of the "grooviest" experiences of my
life.  I've told it here before several times, but it bears retelling:

I used to take my son to bass lessons with legendary studio bassist Carol
Kaye.  She swears by the metronome, and she has many different tricks for
getting the most out of metronome practice.   (Apparently this may be
common with bass players because Victor Wooten in his book "The Music
Lesson" describes some of the same tricks.)

I will never forget Carol Kaye's almost spooky ability to create an
auditory illusion by playing "around" the beat to make the metronome itself
, seem like  IT was doing the swinging!

I'll also never forget her insistence that a "hit" record, is a hit from
the first measure and the difference between a hit and a miss is the beat
(or groove or whatever you want to call it.)  She was not shy about taking
credit for creating many of those "hit" grooves.