[Harp-L] Amp modeler vs. tube amp pricing

Boris Plotnikov wrote:
<Richard, anyway that 200$ tube amp have speaker and makes harmonica louder
<besides effect, while Digitech RP is only FX and modeller unit and need an
<amp with a speaker anyway. So to compare price/functionality/quality add
<another 200$ for a keyboard amp.<

Boris is absolutely correct that any amp modeler, Digitech RPs included, requires an amp of some sort to be heard. Some amp modelers, like the Peavey Vypr and Tranformer (beloved of Peter Ruth), the Line 6 Spyder series, and the Fender Mustang series, are sold as a self-contained system that includes an amp and speaker.  These tend to be priced significantly lower than a non-modeled amp of similar power; for example, a 40-watt Fender Mustang with a 12" speaker, roughly equivalent to a Blues Junior in terms of power, sells for $200, about the same as a similarly configured Vypr.

For the Digitech RPs (or the POD HD/Zoom G3/etc.), which have no built-in amp, an amp of some sort is required.  However, that amp can be the PA.  Since every band (as a rule) has some kind of PA system, assuming that there's an otherwise unused channel on the PA, the amp modeler can be run straight to the PA, which is usually the biggest and loudest amp in the room.  In that case, the harp player only needs to pay for the amp modeler (and of course, if the modeler is an RP, for my patch set, or so I would hope).

But assume we need to buy a keyboard amp too.  Keyboard amps big enough to be useful for performance with a band start at about $200 or so; my Peavey KB2 sells new for about $250.  Add in an RP355 ($200 new) and my patch set ($35) and the total is $435-485.  (Again, if you can use the PA, it's $235.) That's about $85-130 more than a Fender Super Champ XT, but it's also louder and far more flexible in terms of the sounds it produces (and the player's ability to change and shape sound in performance), and the RP can be taken to a gig by itself in a shoulder bag if a PA is available.  Getting the Super Champ onto an airplane, or even on a subway, is no easy thing by comparison, and you don't need an Anvil case to travel with an RP.

In short, the price/performance ratio for amp modelers is very strong in comparison to more-traditional approaches to amplification.  Regarding any perceived shortcomings in tone, I have used an RP of one sort or another at every performance I've played for the last several years, many of which are documented via recordings at http://hunterharp.com.   Like I said in a previous post, I prefer to let the recordings speak for themselves, so check it out if you're so inclined.  If you think your preferred rig sounds a lot better than what you hear there, let me know, and point me to one or more of your own recordings so I can hear what I'm apparently missing.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick