Re: [Harp-L] groove vs swing

*** Warning. Turn down the sensitivity knob, (good natured) sarcasm will be in full use. ***

On Sep 9, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have never known a jam track to have a groove.

Depends on who lays down the tracks. You've got to get out more Joe.:-p  I mentioned jam tracks as an ersatz substitute for a metronome, which, as Slim pointed out, is the device of choice to learn to play in time.

> I have never known a metronome to have a groove.

If you want to go there, no physical object has a groove, that's an idea in the mind of a musician which he communicates to a listener via an instrument of some sort. So strictly speaking, imho, I have never known an instrument of any sort to have a groove. :-p

Having said that, a musician who lacks technique to play in time as demanded by a particular form of music, cannot lay down a groove. Ergo, practicing with a metronome.

> I have never been in a college dorm bull session, so can't give an opinion.

Quit breaking my balls Joe. You know what I mean, lol. It's kind of like what happens when a bunch of old men gather at their favorite coffee shop to talk about politics and the general decline of Western Civilization. There's a lot of stale hot air circulating around the room but very little breathable oxygen.

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com
t: #itsabobworld