Re: [Harp-L] Jazz Ensemble

See below.

On Sep 9, 2013, at 5:44 PM, Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, I think I have identified one of the things thatâs really been bugging me about all this jazz stuff, and that is how a group of jazz musicians makes it all hang together.
>
> Here is a quote from the âBluesâ chapter of âThe Jazz Theory Bookâ by Mark Levine (page 223).  Itâs long, but I include it because itâs representative of the larger issue.  Itâs prefaced by a historical synopsis of how the blues form has evolved from its beginnings and onward

Big snip.

> So, when you jazz harp players are playing in an ensemble with other live musicians, DO you do âwhatever your ear, mind, and soul tell you to do,â and DO the comping musicians (pianist, guitarist, bassist) listen and follow?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Tin Lizzie

I have a gig tomorrow night that is a textbook example of how this works. It's the debut performance by Champions, here in San Diego.
I'm playing mandolin (but not singing!), there is a tuba player and my friend Dane Terry is playing harmonica and singing.
Lots of space there!
So in my role, I provide the harmonic pad between the bass line and the lead line--and the band leader has indicated "less is more".
The material is traditional American music, mostly jazz of the early 20th century.
So I try to keep a heavy New Orleans vibe going.
As I say, this is our first gig, so I will let the list know how it goes. Who knows, maybe eventually I'll get to play some harmonica in the rack!