Re: [Harp-L] Weird sounds

 On some commercial sound effects production libraries, there is a whole category of "Harmonica" sound effects; stings, trills, and other fun small bits that work great for various animations.  (Also featured are the same type of effects for violin, piano, guitars, banjos, xylophone etc.)

Some category examples (Mostly recorded with a chromatic harmonica):

Glisses up/ down
Dissonant warbles with the slide (tri tones, the train is coming down the tracks about to run over the poor damsel in distress, diminished alternating chords, etc.)
Horn toots for cartoon cars
Train whistles (of course!)
"Uh Oh" accents
"You Suck" accents (Wah wahhhhh!)
"Wolf Whislte" accents (pretty girl walks by)
Funny Talking (like the adults in Charlie Brown cartoons)
Laughing harmonica sounds
"Hee Haw" donkey sounds
Short punctations/ Stabs and stings
Rapid Up Downs
Two tone sequences and accents  (funny character walking)
Two Note "Siren" sounds
Fanfares  (Tah Dah)

And More.  I've done a few of these type of things to match specific animations, recorded while watching the timing of the characters and they can add a nice touch of breath and humanity when combined with static sound effects.

So... maybe someone on this list got the gig to go into a studio and record all these?  I've often thought it would be fun to have a few "Harmonica Foley" sessions and make a custom harmonica SFX library.  With the use of a unit like the RP's and other plug in's, sounds that don't even resemble a harmonica could easily be created.  (Maybe Richard H. has made some explosion type sounds using the low octave patches on the RP :- or created scary, synthetic, animal creature roars?).

If any one has done any of this type of session recording or used the harmonica for creating SFX feel free to contact me offlist.
Cheers-
Burke T.

Message: 1