Re: Re: [Harp-L] groove vs swing

I recently bought an interesting book called “Beyond the Metronome:  Becoming an Inchronous Musician” by Malcolm “Mac” Santiago.

I’ve only just dipped into it, because I still have lots of work to do  *with*  the metronome, but it looks really, really good.

It’s well written and well organized.  Of particular interest is the CD that comes with it.  The tracks are like having an extra pair of hands to “play” the metronome while you play/practice your instrument:  One set of tracks starts with the clicks at a given tempo, but after a certain number of measures cuts the clicks to half as often, then half again, etc.  Another set of tracks starts with clicks at one volume, and gradually decreases the volume and then brings it back up again.  There are other exercises with displaced clicks.  The exercises are well described and the diagrams are excellent.

Tin Lizzie