From: JON KIP <jonkip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:01:40
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: groove or not..and "Difficult" as a concept

On Sep 9, 2013, at 6:40 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: The Groove?
>

> So Jon, you're saying context is everything and it's hard won?  fjm

well, sure, but I used way more words

So sure, very good point....context is a determining factor for Groove. Nicely said.

However, If by "hard won" , you mean "difficult".... naah......difficult to explain, a lot easier to assimilate with sound.

The word "Difficult" has too much potential brain baggage to be useful.

(This is the end of the Groove part  of this note, but I was reminded of how we tend to use "difficult" as a word, so will meander on. And then, I'll stop. We'll all go home and watch Oprah.)

Approaching Practice:

I think it's really really important to try to NOT ever (as in NEVER) approach a musical task, a challenge, whatever , by saying to yourself "GEE, THAT'S REALLY HARD". OR, worse yet.... "Heck, I"ll NEVER be able to play that"....

When I have stuff I can't play right off,  I ask myself:

1. is it possible? (or is it a Snipe Hunt?)
2. do I want to learn to do it? (desire)
3. do I really want to spend the time to learn it? (time/effort)
4. at what point will my wife shoot me if she hears me play the same lick for hours, and which body part is she likely to hit? (check with medicare for coverage)

There is a  more "modern" approach, which seems to be:

1. Oh, I heard this great lick that Toots played. It sure sounds difficult.
2. I wonder if someone will retune my chromatic harmonica so I can play it?

that second approach seems a lot less...er......difficult....

hmm

HEY!!  Gnarly? Where are you? Want to retune one of my Deluxes?

jon kip
tedious, isn't it? Sorry, I think today's going to be a difficult day.

http://jonkip.com