From: chicago bluesman <chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2013 4:05 pm
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: The Groove?

Good thoughts, Jon.  When I read the original posting my thoughts, too, were
that the way to address the issues raised is to listen, play and feel rather
than overthink it.  To me, it's irreducible--you can't reverse engineer it,
won't be successful by breaking it down into its component parts, you can't hope
to function like a food scientist where you isolate the chemical basis for grape
flavoring and then recreate it.  Nope.  But, still, I'm sympathetic to the
question.

The process of acquiring comfort with the instrument and becoming fluent in a
style of music--blues in all its forms, country, bluegrass, jazz, Irish fiddle
tunes--is much like learning a language.  First come the basic skills in
producing the requisite noises--the phonemes.  On the harp, this would be
comparable to learning to produce single notes cleanly, with strong and stable
tone.   Then you learn grammar, structure, phrasing--like basic words and
phrases.  Eventually you acquire the skill to say what you want to say
but...then the hard part starts: you need to have something interesting to speak
about.  That really is the hardest part.  Finding your own ideas.

My advice: listen and be moved by other players.  Like speech, it starts with
emulation.  Sample all of the great players that are constantly referenced here.
Listen to live players.  Play along with a few--just a few--fav recordings in a
call-and-response fashion.  Push yourself to learn a few key riffs or melodies
verbatim--like Big Walter's solo on Walking By Myself or Juke in its entirety or
Cotton's standard solo on Blow Wind or Big Walter's Trouble In Mind or the
classic Sonny Boy riff that usually opens Nine Below Zero or...whatever.  But
don't think that copying these tunes/riffs will be the key.  Be patient.  Always
be working on something.  Experiment with the subtleties such as your attack,
differences in embouchure (I shift between pucker & u-block constantly, with
occasional tongue block octave chords), volume, hand effects, vibrato, breathing
and control of your air column.  You may find a way to get optimal tone if
you're relaxed and find an embouchure and playing stance that seems to let the
instrument resonate and sing most freely.  It should be mostly fun and relaxed
but you really have to be patient with the process.

My two cents.

John