RE: [Harp-L] Re: The Groove?

Good thoughts, Jon.  When I read the original posting my thoughts, too, were that the way to address the issues raised is to listen, play and feel rather than overthink it.  To me, it's irreducible--you can't reverse engineer it, won't be successful by breaking it down into its component parts, you can't hope to function like a food scientist where you isolate the chemical basis for grape flavoring and then recreate it.  Nope.  But, still, I'm sympathetic to the question.

The process of acquiring comfort with the instrument and becoming fluent in a style of music--blues in all its forms, country, bluegrass, jazz, Irish fiddle tunes--is much like learning a language.  First come the basic skills in producing the requisite noises--the phonemes.  On the harp, this would be comparable to learning to produce single notes cleanly, with strong and stable tone.   Then you learn grammar, structure, phrasing--like basic words and phrases.  Eventually you acquire the skill to say what you want to say but...then the hard part starts: you need to have something interesting to speak about.  That really is the hardest part.  Finding your own ideas.

My advice: listen and be moved by other players.  Like speech, it starts with emulation.  Sample all of the great players that are constantly referenced here.  Listen to live players.  Play along with a few--just a few--fav recordings in a call-and-response fashion.  Push yourself to learn a few key riffs or melodies verbatim--like Big Walter's solo on Walking By Myself or Juke in its entirety or Cotton's standard solo on Blow Wind or Big Walter's Trouble In Mind or the classic Sonny Boy riff that usually opens Nine Below Zero or...whatever.  But don't think that copying these tunes/riffs will be the key.  Be patient.  Always be working on something.  Experiment with the subtleties such as your attack, differences in embouchure (I shift between pucker & u-block constantly, with occasional tongue block octave chords), volume, hand effects, vibrato, breathing and control of your air column.  You may find a way to get optimal tone if you're relaxed and find an embouchure and playing stance that seems to let the instrument resonate and sing most freely.  It should be mostly fun and relaxed but you really have to be patient with the process.

My two cents.

John