Re: [Harp-L] low end frequencies

Rafael Veggi wrote:
>when I play two reeds at once, I notice an awful low end frequency that
>comes from the harp
>when I bend this double stop this monster gets shape and therefore gets
>more noticeable
>but when I play amplified, oh boy... it goes really nasty
>
>I bet an equalizer would be helpful, I've never tried and would like to ask
>my good fellows before buying one.
>but which one? graphic or parametric?
>and also Is there any tweak I could be doing in order to fix this problem?
>
>thank you folks
>
>ps I usually play on a sm58 straight to the mixer

The SM58 might be part of the problem--it has a pronounced proximity effect, meaning that when you're right up on the mic grille, bass frequencies are emphasized.  Switching mics to an Audix Fireball V, which has very little proximity effect, might solve the problem.

Other than that, check the tuning on the harps--it's possible that what you're hearing is clashing frequencies from out-of-tune overtones.

If you go with an EQ, a graphic model with half a dozen bands should do it.  Boss and others sell stomp boxes that serve the purpose well.  Look for something with bands at 200 hz, 400 hz, 800 hz, 1.6 kHz, 3.2 kHz, and 6.4 kHz and 8 or 10 kHz if you can get it.

Regards, RH

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick