Re: [Harp-L] Transposing instruments? (and maybe about 'harp tab')

My favorite Aongus, the way 'I' learned to read music was to WRITE it. We had a Xerox machine at work that was always clogging up because it wasn't used enough.
So, I found that running a few pages through it every day cured that problem. It saved my employer a lot of expensive service calls.Then I went and bought myself a package of paper, drew lines on a piece of card stock and started making music paper at the rate of a few sheets a day.

Then I would take a piece of music and RE-write it into a different key. Like for example from C to Bb. At first I used a crib sheet where C became a Bb, a D became a C, an F became a Eb, etc. After a while, as I was able to look at the treble staff, I no longer needed the crib sheet. Then I started to spread out my transposing. Going from (say) Bb to E.
Eventually it all locked into my head. And while still not a good reader, I manage in about 6 keys....and a few minors. (B & E still give me fits..lolol).

During my layoff of 30 years on harmonica, I played clarinet for 18 years, and then trumpet for 12. They are both Bb instruments and most of my music is IN Bb transpositions.

smokey joe