RE: [Harp-L] learning songs

When learning a song, it's good to know what key the song is in so you can figure how to play it on a harmonica.  With that said, I believe a good way to know the key of a song (at least 90% of the time or more) is to figure out the pitch the song begins with or better yet the final pitch of the song.  Then use a C harmonica (probably will need a B or Db or Eb or F# to figure if the song ends/begins with # or b pitches).  Whatever you figure out, that will be the key of the song 95% of the time (maybe more).

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rick Dempster
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:55 AM
To: Eric Miller
Cc: Harp-L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] learning songs

I second that. Tab is a dead end.
RD

On 4 September 2013 13:13, Eric Miller <miller.eric.t@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Record yourself whistling or humming it with whatever embellishments
> come out from your own soul, then sit down and work out the notes.
> On Sep 3, 2013 10:25 PM, <bloozeharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > When I sit down  to learn a new gospel song, I generally pick one
> > that I know the melody of well, then find a tab online and take off from there.
> > But, all the tabs I find are generally pretty simplified. Thus, the
> > song gets old pretty quick. About all I play in is 2nd position. I
> > would
> really
> > like to add some "flavor" to the songs I know (eg- Amazing Grace,
> > Victory in Jesus, etc). I'm not trying to sound flashy, just come up
> > with ways to make each verse a little different, thus more
> > interesting for those listening. Thanks.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   Confidential information, such as identifiable patient health information or business information, is subject to protection under state and federal law.    If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information.  If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message.  Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.