[Harp-L] learning songs

When I sit down  to learn a new gospel song, I generally pick one that I know the melody of well, then find a tab online and take off from there. But, all the tabs I find are generally pretty simplified. Thus, the song gets old pretty quick. About all I play in is 2nd position. I would really like to add some "flavor" to the songs I know (eg- Amazing Grace, Victory in Jesus, etc). I'm not trying to sound flashy, just come up with ways to make each verse a little different, thus more interesting for those listening. Thanks.