[Harp-L] Chromatic vs diatonic--Norman's story, continued

Dear Grant:  Thanks for your note.  I glad it resonated with some.
I went to a leather shop and had them make a holster for my belt.  Since
1979, I think I have worn out about three.
Maybe my current one will last and I and it will wear out about the same
time. (smile)

One of my exercises when I'm on a long drive by myself is to play Star
Spangled Banner in all 12 keys.  Playing with jazz people gives one chance
to play up to five flats as horns and reeds love the keys with multiple
flats.

I haven't done it myself, as I've been blessed with tolerant musical
companions, but the "play along" CDs which Jamie Aebersold sells ( he's
on-line and will also mail you a catalog) is another option.  There are
other play along albums but I think Aebersold has the largest selection.

Robert Bonfiglio, a Harp-L listmate, and longtime student of Cham Ber Huang
has some workshops from time-to-time.  This, in my mind, would be a
wonderful inspirational experience.  Likely everyone on the list knows that
Bonfiglio has an  career performing  the Villa Lobos Concerto for Chromatic
Harmonica with symphony orchestras the world over.

On other point, regarding always having harmonica readily available.
Frequently on meeting people, I will be told,
" I play harmonica, too."  My reply, " Show me your harmonica.  A REAL
harmonica player always has at least one on his person."  Once, some years
ago, I had hired a slightly demented lady piano player for a little party at
my home.  One driving her home about midnight, it seems she'd locked herself
out of the house. We had to call the locksmith to get her back in.  In
conversation it came out that she was a pianist and I a serious amateur
harmonicist.  He replied that he, too, was a harmonica player.  I gave my
standard reply, to which he responded:
" Does it count if it's in the truck?"  Indeed it did.  So the two of us (
both stone-cold sober) ended up playing some harmonica duets outside his
lock-mobile in the dim overhead light of the truck.  A memorable moment for
both!
Thanks for listening.

Norman Vickers
Jazz Society of Pensacola,